“Achieving gender equality is important for workplaces not only because it is ‘fair’ and ‘the right thing to do’, it is also vitally important to the bottom line of a business and to the productivity of our nation.” – WGEA
Gender Equality is becoming a big issue in Australia and leading Organisations are starting to take notice. CEO’s of Australia’s largest organisations are signing up their support to closing the gender pay gap and making their workplaces more diversity friendly.
STS believes many organisations are making good headway in attracting women to their organisations by highlighting potential career paths, revamping recruitment advertisements and improving transparency of selection processes. However, this is only a small part of improving gender diversity in traditionally masculine industries.
A critical step, and one that is commonly neglected, is ensuring our workplace cultures are inclusive and without barriers to the progression and retention of women in the industry. This step requires analysis of and potential change to the industry cultures in which we have historically operated.
STS has a long history of creating cultural change within organisations across construction, mining and engineering industries. We are particularly passionate about supporting our clients to shift their organisations towards greater gender diversity. To achieve this, STS has partnered with the established Diversity & Inclusion group The Blue Collared Woman. This partnership enables us to offer new and exciting services to enhance client performance.
An example of the Diversity & Inclusion services we offer include:
- Diversity Strategy Establishment – work in partnership with you to establish and confirm a Diversity Strategy that encompasses practical goals and actions.
- Gender Diversity Audits - audit existing organisational processes and culture to determine current “diversity readiness” of your business. Recommendations and actions are then provided to support your organisation to achieve it’s gender diversity goals.
- ‘Leading Diversity’ Workshops – explores the role of the leader (male/female) in creating a gender diverse organisation. Content is based on scientific research and focuses on a range of topics including, gender neuroscience, unconscious bias, gender roles and practical tips for managing gender diversity in teams.
- Women Leadership Development Program – leadership theory and practical experience underpin the variety of topics which can be delivered to empower and support your organisation’s woman to become confident leaders. Content is flexible and can be tailored to address the needs of women across a variety of levels and roles (apprentice, graduate, engineer, project manager, etc.), including technical, operational and support functions.
- Individual Coaching – 1-on-1 coaching to both men and women, generally in the field / workplace, to produce real-time learning and support the transfer of classroom based theory into practical applications.
- Mentoring Programs – support of the design, development and roll-out of mentoring programs. We can also provide support to mentees and mentors (including participation as a mentor where appropriate).